14 December 2017, Comments Comments Off on Motorcycle Insurance 101

Whether you just bought a motorcycle or are a veteran rider, you might have a few questions about insuring your bike. What's liability insurance? Do I need Comprehensive insurance? How can I make sure my custom chrome is covered?

Here are some motorcycle insurance tips from market leader Progressive that can help you navigate your motorcycle insurance policy and feel confident you've made the decision that's right for you.

How do I pick the right insurance policy for me and my bike?

First, determine how much insurance you're required to have. Most states require that you carry liability insurance, which covers you if you cause an accident that injures another person or damages someone's property.

When picking your liability limits—the maximum amount an insurance company will pay in the event of that type of claim—a good rule of thumb is to review your car insurance coverage and buy a policy with similar limits and deductibles. The premium can be relatively inexpensive, and your assets are similarly protected in case of an accident.

Once you choose liability limits, you may want to add insurance that protects your bike. Collision covers damages caused by an accident, while Comprehensive covers damages caused by an incident like fire or theft.

I've tricked out my bike with lots of custom parts. How can I make sure they're insured in case my bike is stolen or in an accident?

Many motorcycle policies will cover some basic accessories, but if you added some serious chrome to your bike, got a custom paint job, or installed a GPS, you might want to consider additional accessory coverage.

When you purchase Comprehensive or Collision coverage with Progressive, $3,000 of accessory coverage is usually included. You can also buy more coverage – up to $30,000 worth.

I like to take my bike out on long rides across the country. Would I be covered if I broke down in the middle of nowhere?

Consider getting Roadside Assistance coverage so that help is just a phone call away in case you break down.

Progressive also offers coverage that will pay up to $500 for lodging, transportation and food if your bike has a mechanical breakdown more than 100 miles from home. Most customers can add both coverage to their policy for just $15 a year.

For more information, talk to your independent agent or broker.

Comments are closed.